Saturday, August 04, 2007

Xin Wang HK Cafe




I kind of swore off HK cafes since our last experience at one, because I think the mains are unreasonably priced (in comparison to Crystal Jade). However, Xin Wang HK Cafe has changed my mind. Located on the 2nd floor of Orchard Cineleisure, this restaurant is actually a very comfortable chill-out place for snacks, dessert and drinks. Also probably coz Steven and I got a really comfortable booth seat.

Anyway Steven was feeling like a Ya Kun combination, so he ordered the kaya butter toast ($1.50), two soft-boiled eggs ($1.20) and 1 cup of kopi-o ($1.20). I was trying to get him to try the famous peanut butter and condensed milk toast, but since tt cost $3.90 he wasn’t too keen on it. Anyway, the kaya butter toast was huge. The bread was incredibly thick, and they used brown kaya, and two equally incredibly thick slabs of butter on the inside. It’s like sin personified; asking for kaya butter toast here. Very good, but very heavy, and very sinful. But I suppose for $1.50, it’s got to be worth the money. It’s huge and filling.

The eggs were okay to Steven . Decent, but nothing to shout about. I suppose after Ya Kun, it’s hard to find anything that comes close. The kopi-o was okay as well, but he said tt it was too thin or too diluted. He likes his kopi-o thick.

I ordered the triple snow MANGO milk ice for $6.90. $6.90 for ice kachang is fucking expensive, but this was actually in my opinion, almost worth it. It is huge, and looks like a veritable mountain of ice. Triple snow ice combines 3 flavours of toppings - yellow coloring, mango flava and mango cubees (note: they are all made from real mango puree, as well ). This being my first time ordering it, I had no idea how each tasted . I’ve come to the conclusion tt I like mango the most. It is by far the topping I find most agreeable. But the ice doesn’t just come with 3 flavours of toppings. It is almost drenched with evaporated milk beneath the toppings - which I love as well - and generous helpings of cubees and jelly like thingies at the bottom, which should definitely appeal to mango going lovers. Finally, it comes crowned with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

And you know what? I loved this dessert. It had almost everything I wanted. I’m not into chinese food at all but I love ice cream. And the shaved ice was to me, the right consistency. Not too chunky tt the ice was rather dry and hard to swallow, but not too fine tt the whole thing melted too fast for my liking. And I love how the evaporated milk softens the ice and how the ice-cream compliments the flavoured toppings. Finally, I like having mango around, and trust me, this much ice cannot go wrong in making an ice-maniac like me ecstatically happy.

Of course, it was a little too big for one person, and I realised tt belatedly after ending up rather bloated on monster-size ice-kachang. Full, but very very happy. =)

I’m definitely coming back to order the toast bread and the milk ice and the baked spaghetti dishes.



clarissa xoxo

No comments: